Wednesday, June 26, 2013

You can't hold your breath doing voiceovers


I don't want to jinx a no-hitter by talking about it in the 8th inning, but I just found out that a recent audition of mine is one of the finalists for a show on a channel that starts with an "H" and ends with "istory Channel".  One of the hard parts of being a full-time voice actor is landing regular, on-going work. And the new TV show that this would be for (sorry I can't say anymore than that about it. TV producers are neurotically paranoid until it hits the airwaves) is something I'd be excited about and would watch whether I was voicing it or not, so I think it would have a shot at hanging around a few seasons. In voiceoverland, regular gigs like that are gold and are few and far between. I'll allow myself to get excited at the possibility, but always temper it with the reality of having been in this business long enough to know it's nothing personal. You do the audition, pat it on its little butt and kick it towards the producer and forget about it. You usually only hear back if you win the gig, but some agencies get in touch and say "sorry we chose someone else, but we liked your read and we'll keep you in mind for future projects." All you can do is your best and move on. And if you do that consistently, you find that sometimes even the auditions you lose can turn into wins later.

No comments:

Post a Comment